Address：No.1843 Middle Huaihai Road
No.1842 Middle Huaihai Road, the Former Residence of Soong Ching-ling, was built in 1920. With a floor area of 4,330 sq m and a building area of over 700 sq m, it is a garden residence of the German architectural style. It is said that the building was designed and built by Germans under the commission from a wealthy Greek merchant.
The building has a two-floor brick-and-concrete structure. The south facade has an arc-shaped loggia, on which is a terrace. The roof is paved with black-and-red tiles and has protruding semi-cylindrical dormers, with a German architectural style. The flower beds protruding from walls and terrace iron railings are decorated with Chinese traditional patterns. The first floor has a study, a living room and a dining room, and the second floor has an office and bedrooms. The inside is elegantly decorated, adopting steel windows, teak doors, willow flooring and dadoes. In front of the house is a broad lawn surrounded by more than 60 camphor trees verdant all year round.
After the Anti-Japanese War ended in 1945, the building was confiscated by the KMT Government as property of the enemy and the puppet regime, and its owner changed for several times. Soong Ching-ling settled in the house in 1948 and lived here for more than 30 years. In the building, Soong Ching-ling received Party and state leaders such as Mao Zedong, Liu Shaoqi, Zhu De and Zhou Enlai, as well as foreign state heads and guests such as Kim Il Sung from North Korea, Kliment Voroshilov from the Soviet Union, Norodom Sihanouk from Cambodia, and Bung Sukarno from Indonesia. On the wall of the living room, there is an oil portrait of Soong Ching-ling’s mother Ni Guizhen. On the table and fireplace, there are various gifts presented by foreign state heads, such as the copper sword from Sukarno and the “Chunhyangjeon” embroidery from Kim Il Sung. The carpets in the dining room and the living room were given by Mao Zedong. In the east of the living room is a library collecting over 4,000 books in Chinese, English, French, Russian and other languages. On May 29, 1981, Soong Ching-ling passed away. On October 9 of the same year, the former residence was internally opened, and a management office was established. In May 1988, the Memorial Hall for the Former Residence of Soong Qing-ling was set up. In addition to being open to the public, it is also responsible for keeping, sorting and researching Soong Qing-ling’s relics and related historical materials and sites.
On June 25, 2001, under the approval of the State Council, the Former Residence of Soong Ching-ling (garden residence at No.1842 Middle Huaihai Road) was listed as a National Key Cultural Relic Protection Unit.